Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Diy 01: Knotted sailor headband

The other day I posted a picture of my latest project on Facebook and got a lot of tutorial requests so I decided to give it a whirl! This is a sailor knot headband made out of a t-shirt that always fit me weird. It was surprisingly easy and the headband stays on so well. I always have a problem with headbands slipping off whenever I wear them. I took the pictures out on my patio to take advantage of the awesome sunlight. Light just makes images look so much clearer! So just ignore the cement background.

First I cut 1 1/2-2" strips out of a t-shirt. Don't worry about making them perfect because you won't even be able to notice when it is all finished. For this headband I used four strands. You can do six if you want to make it thicker but it just needs to be an even number.

Then just join your strips into two and follow along step by step.



From here, just pull the ends and tighten. You can make your knot as tight or loose as you would like.




Now if you want to break out the sewing machine here to join the back then go ahead! All I did was take a smaller strip of fabric and tied the two loops together with a simple knot.

And voila! This is super easy to make. Plus it's a great way to recycle unwanted t-shirts! 
I of course had to make one for Myla too. I just cut the strips in half to do this since her head is obviously smaller. 
Just look at that adorable little face! Thanks for checking out this tutorial. I plan to do more in the future so I would love it if you would follow along!

Positive thinking: When John got home from work last night he took care of Myla so I could go get some groceries. It has been a while since I have ran errands without Myla with me and I was pleasantly surprised that I got hit on by two men. Of course I only have eyes for John but it was flattering that I caught their attention. Thank you random strangers. 

Looking forward to: Last week I caught a little stomach bug. I don't know what it was but it was not very fun. The next day my allergies kicked in and then that evening I got a terrible sore throat. Since then I have been struck with an icky cough for the last three days. I am finally starting to feel better and I cannot wait until I am back to my old healthy self. Fingers crossed for good health!

xoxo, Missy Dorius

2 comments :

  1. This is so cute and looks easy to make, but I'm wondering if you sewed the strips together in the first photos to make a loop or are they tied together? I'm hoping to make a "no sew" headband for my infant daughter and myself.

    ReplyDelete